Saturday, December 12, 2009

SATURDAY DECEMBER 12, 2009
3:30 PM

This past Thursday the East Arkansas Regional Solid Waste Board met. (I am a member of this board) The board made some important changes that will affect the flow of garbage in our district. The board regulations state that garbage in the district must go to a designated landfill. The City of Wynne has been in compliance with the regulations ever since I have been mayor, but a number of cities and counties were not in compliance.

After years of discussion the board finally took action that will force these cities and counties to deliver their waste to the proper landfill. After discussing this issue for eleven years the board now has in place regulations that will force these cities and counties to take their garbage to the proper landfill. If they do not take their garbage to the proper landfill, there are some regulations now in place that will force them to pay the landfills for their garbage if it is not delivered to the proper landfill. I do not think that these cities and counties want to pay for the disposal of their trash twice. The bottom line on this action is that we will have a landfill to take our garbage to and the board has control of the prices charged by the landfills.

I have been working on my State of the City address that I will deliver during the January meeting of the city council. I have spent quite a bit of time on the speech for the past several weeks. I think that after a few more minor adjustments it will be complete.

Jerry and I met with the engineers on Wednesday about the bridge that is to be built next year. They have started work on the plans for this new bridge. They think that this is a good time to be building this bridge because there is a shortage of work. They think that this will result in the city getting a better price for the work.

The city has been behind in our removal of leaves in the city because of a mechanical problem with the machine. We now have the machine back in service and the crews have removed most of the leaves placed on the streets.

I raked my leaves again this morning. I hope that this is the last time I have to do this until next season.

Pat and I went to the fire department Christmas party last night. We had a very good time and the food was excellent. Mike Hamrick was named Officer of the Year and Douglas Jones was named Firefighter of the year. Congratulations to both of these fine young men.

No comments: