Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TUESDAY JANUARY 20, 2009

I have not been in the office since last Wednesday morning. I attended the AML winter conference in Little Rock Wednesday through Friday. I got home about 4:00 PM on Friday afternoon. We had a very good conference. I heard some information that I have heard before, and I also gained some valuable information that will help me in the future.

There were quite a few speakers speaking about the new legislative session that in now meeting in Little Rock. The lottery, that was approved by the Arkansas voters, will be taking quite a bit of time and work to complete. The legislature has already spent a lot of time and study working out the details of how the Arkansas lottery will work. They plan to submit a plan and then make adjustments as necessary to get the details passed this session. They hope to be able to start selling tickets early in 2010.

Another big issue for the general assembly is a trauma system for the state of Arkansas. We do not now have a trauma system. The governor has proposed to pay for the system by increasing the price of tobacco. His proposal is to increase the price of a pack of cigarette by 56 cents. He also proposes to increase the price of other tobacco products about the same percentage. This in not a done deal. They will probably look at other ways to fund the proposal, but I think that a majority of the funding will come from tobacco. Some of the money will also go to fund better health care for the state in addition to the trauma system. Living in Wynne, I sometimes take the Med in Memphis for granted. This is the trauma system that is used by Eastern Arkansas. There are several locations in Arkansas that have very limited access to this type of service.

I enjoyed the conference. I also enjoyed seeing my friends from around the state. It is always informative to discuss city problems with other city personnel from around the state. I have always gained valuable information from these informal discussions.

Pat's sister was here from Friday through yesterday morning. It was good to have her visit and allow she and Pat to enjoy each others company.

The Wynne City Council met for the first time of 2009 last Tuesday evening. It was a routine meeting, except I gave my State of The City Address. Short and Sweet......... We have two new council members on this body. The new members are Terri Morris and Ronnie Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin won an open seat and Mrs. Morris defeated a city council member. I think that they will make excellent public servants for their wards. I look forward to working with them, as well as the eight returning members.

I went with Jerry this morning to Bay. We picked up a garbage truck. We will use it today to aid in the pickup of trash. We have to pick up two wards today, because yesterday was a holiday for the city. We will also use it while our truck in in the shop for a recall.

No comments: