Wednesday, June 24, 2009

WEDNESDAY JUNE 24, 2009
9:27 AM

The last few days have been unusual in the operation of the city. Last week one of our police cars was in the shop for some repairs. The mechanic was test driving the car and had an accident that totaled our car and probably the car he hit. The accident was determined to be the fault of the driver of our car.

The fire department had some truck problems last week that caused two of the trucks to be out of service for a period of time. This happened while the chief was on vacation but he returned and took care of the problems.

The street department has been working for several days on a drainage project. Yesterday the surveying equipment that is owned by the street department stopped working. We borrowed an instrument from a local business and it quit working. We then borrowed an instrument from another business that worked so the work continues. During this down time we made a trip to Jonesboro to purchase a new instrument. When we arrived at Jonesboro the supplier did not have the equipment we needed in stock. We have ordered a new instrument, but it will be several days before we can have it delivered. In the meantime, the local business is allowing the city to use his instrument. It is good to have good relations with our local community that allows us to borrow equipment on an emergency basis.

The temperature has been very high the last few days. Yesterday, because of the high temperature, we sent the residential garbage personnel home early. They plan to complete yesterdays route this morning.

We also have a potential problem with one of our employees. I hope for the best, but it does not look good at the present time.

One of my department heads commented yesterday about problems that he is dealing with in his department. I reminded him that I have to also deal with not only his problems, but I have two other departments that I have to deal with and try to make the best decisions for myself, the department, the employee and the residents of the city. But, I am not complaining, I asked for this job and am thankful that the citizens have given me the opportunity to serve in this position.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Hey, I am currently unemployed. Let me know if you have an opening!