Saturday, January 30, 2010

SATURDAY JANUARY 30, 2010
7:20 AM

I have only had one city council member in favor of the contract with the WFA. One other council member asked some questions about the proposed contract. I replied to those questions but that council member did not indicated their support for the agreement.

Because I have only had a response from two council members I have decided to not enter into a contract with the WFA. I will present a contract at the February meeting of the council and ask all of the members to vote on the proposal. If the council does not approve the contract the city will hire an officer and we will resume this service as has been done in the past.

I attended the chamber of commerce banquet on Thursday night. The banquet was well attended and the speaker was very good. The entire program was only about one hour and twenty five minutes in length. I though that the food and the service was excellent.

Star Printing was chosen the business of the year.

Dr. Mike and Kathy Norris were chosen as volunteer of the year.

Ronnie Cox was named the citizen to the year.

The endowment foundation of Cross County was named the civic organization of the year.

I congratulate the winners and I think that all are very deserving of the recognition.

I served as the greeter for the guest at the banquet. I had an opportunity to meet and greet all of the people attending the banquet. This was an excellent assignment for an elected official to meet and greet citizens and business people from Cross County and the area.

The city hall was closed yesterday. We had sleet, snow and rain yesterday. I spent some time yesterday morning at the street and sanitation department. Because of the weather Jerry stopped the trash pickup and sent the drivers home about ten o'clock. Most of the street department were sent home a few minutes later. Jerry and a small crew stayed and operated our new salt and sand spreader. The new equipment work well and the salt and sand mixture improved the traveling conditions of the streets. The all went home about two pm.

I had a call from a family and they needed to purchase a burial plot at Cogbill Cemetery. I met a member of the family at city hall and they purchased two burial plots. A young man had passed away and they had to have a burial plot. I am glad that I decided a few years ago to purchase cemetery plots. At least this is one activity that my family will not have to deal with in the case of an unexpected death.

It appears that the ice and snow have stopped during the night, but the ground is covered and the temperature for today is not predicted to be above freezing.

Last night the electricity was off about two hours. I was glad that I had installed a fireplace a few years ago. I had no lights, but we had heat.

No comments: