Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WEDNESDAY MARCH 9, 2011
7:00 PM


MAYOR PAUL NICHOLS TO RETIRE JULY 15, 2011

Last night at the Wynne City Council meeting I announced to the council that I plan to retire from my position as Mayor of the City of Wynne. I made the decision after a lot of thought. After careful evaluation on the situation I chose to retire this July. I chose the July date because that will allow time to conduct an election for my replacement. The election will be held on June 14, 2011. If a runoff is required the election will be held three weeks later on July 5, 2011. That will make it possible to have an elected mayor in place when I leave office.

The question that has come up most is "Is the mayor sick". I am not sick. I am in good health. Another question that has come up several times is"Is the mayor moving to Mississippi" I do not plan to move to Mississippi any time soon. Pat and I do own a home in Mississippi, but at the present time we will continue to live in Wynne. I do think that when I retire that we will spend more time at our home in Iuka.

It has been an honor an pleasure to serve as mayor of Wynne. I have enjoyed the experiences that I have had serving as mayor. I never hated to go to work. But it is time for a change.

After my announcement the city council passed an ordinance calling for a special election to select my replacement.

They also took the following actions:

Approved the plat for a subdivision in the south part of the city. The developer plans to build 36 homes on the property. He said that they would be completed by December 31 of this year.

Approved the rezoning of a piece of property on Highway 1 South from residential to Commercial

Approved a group of citizens as the Wynne Tree Board

Approved the contract to build a walking trail between the hospital and John Hayden Smith Park. The hospital has been working with the city on this project. In fact the trail will be on property owned by the hospital.

Passed an ordinance calling for a special election on May 10, 2011 for a 1% sales tax for 5 years.
If passed this tax will provide funding for economic development, parks and recreation and a small amount for the street department.

No comments: