Friday, March 27, 2009

FRIDAY MARCH 27, 2009
1:13 PM

I have not felt very good today. I have been running a fever and generally feel bad.

Yesterday morning I went to the EAPDD in Jonesboro for a board meeting. These meetings are usually short, but yesterday it took about two hours. The main reason for the board meeting was to go over the budget for next year and adopt the budget. We accomplished those task. We also had a funeral service at Cogbill yesterday afternoon. I had planned to meet the funeral director and pick up the check for the opening and closing and other cost associated with the burial. I was unable to return to Wynne in time to meet the funeral director, so I called Lynn and asked him to pick up the check. When he arrived and met the funeral director there was no check. He told me that he was not going to allow them to complete the burial without the money. The funeral director was from a funeral home in Memphis. He called Theda and she told him to allow them to complete the service and she would call the funeral home and have them mail the check. There had been some miscommunication with the funeral home staff related to the check.

When I returned to Wynne I went by the public works building to check on the garbage truck. To my surprise both garbage trucks were at the shop to be repaired. Tri State had sent a mechanic to Wynne to complete the work. They were successful and got both trucks running late yesterday afternoon. I have not checked with Jerry today, but I assume that they are running OK today. I sure hope so.

I attended a meeting of the CCEDC board yesterday afternoon. Most of the board was there and there was a large group of interested citizens and other elected officials at the meeting. The meeting was called to get input about how to proceed with funding for economic development. There was a very good discussion and in the end, about two hours later, the consensus seemed to be to have another election and go county wide again. There had been some discussion about only asking the City of Wynne to hold an election. The people who were present agreed that it would be a difficult task, but most agreed that economic development must be funded and the best way is to try to unite the county and have another election county wide. I think that if the election was held only in the city that it would split the county and be bad for both the city and county.

No comments: