Monday, May 18, 2009

MONDAY MAY 18, 2009
11:50 AM

I have not written for several days. I have been helping Amy deal with her situation.

This morning I went to the new school for the Cross County District. The governor was the featured speaker. I was impressed with the building and the behavior of the students. The ceremony went well and the children were on their best behavior.

We have had a lot of rain the last few weeks in Wynne. The farmers are having a difficult time working in the fields.

Church was not held last night. Instead the Sunday school classes held fellowships. Pat went to her class meeting at five and stayed about 45 minutes and then came home and went with me to my fellowship. Her fellowship was for class members only. Mine was for members and their wives. We had an excellent turnout. Only one active member was absent. We enjoyed some very good food and had an good time visiting with other members.

The city council meeting was very short last week. The most of the time was spent on a request to grant a variance for some property. After quite a bit of discussion the motion was made to grant the request, but the motion failed. We only had seven members present. We had one in the bed at home with a hurting back, one in the hospital, and another one on a mini vacation. It took me longer to describe the meeting Wednesday on Yawn Patrol than it did to conduct the meeting Tuesday night.

Pat has gotten her new glasses and new sunglasses. She is pleased with both of them.

On Friday of last week I recieved a response to our porposal for a layoff policy for the city from the attorney. He had two suggestions for improvment and making the document better. Both were minor. I have made the corrections. I plan to present it at the June city council meeting and hopefully they will adopt it as the official city regulation. I and the department heads are pleased with the final draft. I hope that the city council agree.

I received a call from the municipal league last week and they asked me to chair one of the sessions at the June convention. I told them that I would gladly help. I look forward to attending the conventions. I get to visit with old friends and make some new friends. I always learn something that will aid in the operation of the city.

Next week I will travel to Lake Village for a meeting of the Executive Committee. It will be a long day, because I intend to drive down, attend the meeting and then return home.

No comments: