Thursday, October 2, 2008

THURSDAY OCTOBER 2, 2008
2:55 PM

I have heard from nine of the ten city council members about the class three trash situation in Wynne. A majority of the council have indicated to me that they want to go to a pay as you use class three trash service.

Starting in January 2009 the city will only pick up class three trash that has been paid for in advance. The citizen will contact the city and request a pickup. A sanitation department employee will visit the residence and measure the pile and present the citizen with bill for removal. The citizen will then pay the sanitation department for the removal. Once the bill has been paid the driver of the knuckleboom truck will be given the order to remove the trash. If the citizens want to deliver their trash to the city shop we will accept it at that location, but they must pay the sanitation department before they will be granted access to our property. This will mean more work for some of our employees, but only the people who use the service will be paying. Because of this decision our sanitation fees will remain at $15.00 per month per household. I know that this is a big change, but I think that the system will work fine once the bugs are worked out. I personally favor this system. Only the people who need the service will have to pay.

I have interviewed two potential men for the position of Chief of Police. I plan to interview one more person and then make a decision. I expect to have a new police chief named by the end of next week.

Jerry and I met this morning with the architect, contractor, and downtown committee at the Jessie Wynne Park. The city is going to do some of the demolition work for the new park. We met to make sure that all parties understood their role in this project. The city crews have begun their part of the demolition. I think that the citizens will be proud of the improvements that are going to become a part of downtown Wynne.

No comments: