Saturday, October 3, 2009

SATURDAY OCTOBER 3, 2009
10:50 AM

I am fixing to leave to go to Mississippi State for the football game with Georgia Tech.

It has been a busy week in the mayor's office. I have had several items that needed my attention. The residential garbage has had some problems, but the mechanic thinks that they finally have it properly repaired. The mechanic rode with the driver for the complete route on Thursday. The truck has not had any problems on Thursday or Friday.

The street department has been busy this week. They did several patching with asphalt this week. The plant has been running this week. We have to make repairs when the plant is operating. The plant has not operated very many days this paving season. I think that the street department was able to complete all of the patching that they needed to take care of this week.

The solid waste board met on Thursday of this week. The big news coming out of the board meeting was a major change in where we must take our class three trash. The board voted this week to require all trash in Cross County to be disposed of in the Crittenden County landfill in West Memphis. At the present time the city is taking our class three trash to the Delta Environmental landfill between Wynne and Parkin. This change in regulation will require the city to now take that trash to West Memphis. That means instead of about a 15 mile round trip to dump we will now have to make about a 100 mile round trip. This change will increase our cost of providing this service. I have been working on the details to come up with a cost to the city to make this change. I plan to discuss this at the next city council meeting to get their input before a final decision is made.

I made a quick trip to Drasco Arkansas yesterday. I went to look at a 1954 Ford pickup. I would like to have a truck of this type. I have been looking for several months trying to locate one that I would buy. I liked this truck, but the battery was dead and I could not drive the truck. Because of the price of the truck I told the owner that I was interested in his truck, but that I would not spend the price he wanted for this truck without a test drive. He told me that he understood. He said that he would purchase a battery and give me a call and I could return to test drive the truck and make a decision about purchasing the truck. The truck has been in Drasco since it was purchased new from Ford. The present owner received it from his father who had owned the truck until his death.

No comments: