Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday July 18, 2008
11:00 AM

I had a very busy day yesterday. I had four meeting to attend as well as deal with a number of issues that a part of almost every day.

I had a staff meeting yesterday morning. The main concern is that the city has to revise our health and safety plan. We have a problem because we had two workers comp. claims last year. I gave the department heads two weeks to submit their information to me so that I can revise the plan. I will submit the new plan and it will should be accepted. If it is we will implement the plan and in six months the workers comp. will visit the city and check to make sure that the plan has been implemented.

The second meeting I attented was the chamber of commerce board meeting. This month the meeting was held in Parkin. We met at the the state park. The facilities were ok and the food, prepared by the mayor an Joann ,was excellent. It was very warm because we only had celing fans and the meeting was at high noon.

The third meeting I attended was the board for CCEDC. The meeting was routine. It only lasted a few minutes. We did approve the guidelines to spend the money to prospectibe businesses.

The last meeting I attended was a public forum for the citizens to hear the explaination for the need for new water and sewer rates in Wynne. The turnout was very low. I only counted fifty people at the meeting. Included in that number were the five water commissioners, six of the council members, three policemen, four people who made the presentation. The bottom line is that the rates have to be increased. If the city council does not increase the rates the lender will go to court and a judge will take over the operation of the water and sewer for the city. The judge will hire someone to manage the system and the judge will increase the rates to make sure that enough money is taken in to meet the needs of the system, including the repayment of the loans.

Yesterday Amy called me as she was passing through Wynne. She had been to Heber Springs to pick up a body for a service at CMP at 3:00pm yesterday. She had to stop in Wynne to get gas for the coach. She was in good spirits and it was good to visit with her a few minutes on the phone as she was passing through.

No comments: