Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday July 24, 2008
3:15 PM

I attended a very interesting solid waste board meeting this morning. I got to serve as chairman. The chairman, the vice chairman, and the secretary were not in attendance. I told the staff that I was willing to serve as the chairman for the meeting. The lawyer said that the members present (there was a quorum) would have to elect me the chairman for today's meeting.

I informed the group what had to happen and told them that I would serve as the chairman, but there had to be a vote. Almost before I was finished with the situation several members moved to elect me the chairman for the day. I won in a landslide.

The board first heard from Judge Holt about the landfill contract. He said that nothing had been resolved, but that he was willing to enter into a contract with the board with the ending time to match the landfill in Phillips county. The board has been granting extensions for a number of years. It was good to have the issue settled. (our garbage goes to this landfill)

The next item of business was the recycling grants for this year. We received request for more money than we have been given for this year. This has always been the case. After much discussion the board reached an agreement to disperse the money. This is always the way these grants are handled.

The last item we discussed was waste tire disposal. We spent well over an hour discussing this item. In the end, I think that we reached a solution that pleased the members of the board.

We then went to Kelley's for a delicious meal and some good interaction.

No comments: