Friday, July 31, 2009

FRIDAY JULY 31, 2009
10:45 AM

I went to Searcy on Wednesday afternoon and returned to Wynne yesterday afternoon. I attended the annual planning meeting of the executive committee of the Arkansas Municipal League. We had a very productive meeting as we decided on the plans for the municipal league programs for the next year.

We met at Harding University. We were all impressed with the facilities that we used for our meetings and meal functions. I enjoyed seeing and visiting with my fellow city officials from around the state.

The group went downtown Searcy to a dinner theater for a meal and entertainment on Wednesday night. We were treated to an excellent meal and the entertainment was outstanding.

The trip over on Wednesday afternoon and the trip back yesterday afternoon was terrible. I made both trips in a downpour of rain. I had to drive much less than the speed limit just to be able to see the highway and control my truck.

After I returned to Wynne I was on my way to the barber shop and the director of public works flagged me down. He wanted me to see the damage to our public works building. Yesterday afternoon we had some strong winds in that section of the city. These winds resulted in the collapse of the ceiling in the break room of the public works building. There was no water damage or any roof damage but the ceiling was in a mess. We contacted a contractor this morning and employed him to make repairs to the building. There was also some wind damage to Kelleys restaurant for the same wind.

Amy came to Wynne and stayed with Pat while I was gone to Searcy. They had a good time visiting during her visit. They both said that Amy spend a lot of time playing with Oscar. He was tired last night. In fact he went to bed a little earlier than normal.

I have complete a memo to the city council members about our class three trash problems. I have given them some options to solve the problem and I have also asked them for their input before a decision is made. We must make some changes to this service. We cannot stay up with the amount of trash that is placed on the street with the manpower and equipment we now have assigned to this service. I look forward to getting their input as we solve this problem.

Pat continues to make improvements with her broken leg. Please continue to remember her in your prayers and also remember me as I assist her and try to work at the city hall.

No comments: