Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TUESDAY JULY 28, 2009
3:15 PM

I have spent a good bit of time today working on the information we plan to distribute to the citizens about the new way residential trash cans will be dumped in the future. Sometime over night I received a proof of the publication. I reviewed it along with three other people. We reached a consensus about the publication and a few minor changes. I submitted the changes to the company. The company replied in a short time with our changes. After review, we have the final proof ready to go to the printer.

I have also spent time today working on projects that I plan to propose for the 2010 budget. I will have two committee meeting to get further input on my plans. It seems early, but it is time to begin work on the city budget for 2010.

One of the projects that I plan to discuss with the solid waste committee is the need for an additional truck in the sanitation department. We must add a truck, if we are to keep up with the removal of class three trash. The city cannot stay up with the amount of trash that is being placed on the street using only one truck. I hope that the council agrees. When they went back to picking up all of the trash my impression was that they wanted it pickup on the same schedule as the normal household trash. We cannot provide that service with the present staff and equipment. If the fuel prices remain about the same, I think that we can provide the extra truck
on the money that is now being collected. That may not be true, but if we do not add another truck, we will have to cut back on the service that we are attempting to now provide.

Another issue that a committee has been looking at for several months is retirement for a few elected officials. At the present time once a limited number of former elected officials begin drawing a retirement the amount remains the same throughout their life. A couple of years ago the state legislature passed a law that allows city council members to give up to a 3% cost of living adjustment to these former elected officials. Elected officials now are in another retirement plan and that plan has a yearly cost of living adjustment. It seems fair that this small number of former elected officials should be given this small adjustment. I hope that the committee and then the full council agree to grant this small cost of living adjustment for these former elected officials.

Pat seems to be improving daily. She told me at lunch that she had spent a good deal of the morning sitting and not lying down. Please keep her in your prayers. Also keep me in your prayers as I conduct city business and take care of Pat.

No comments: