Monday, February 8, 2010

MONDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2010
5:40 PM

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES. When I got up this morning I looked outside and to my surprise we had received a huge snow since I went to bed on Sunday night. About 7:00 AM
we had received about five or six inches and it was still snowing.

Theda called and said that she was not coming to work today because of the weather. She told me that if I needed her and the roads did not improve she would be glad to come to work if I could send someone for her. I told her that if I needed her I would give her a call and if I had to have her I would send someone to pick her up and bring her to the city hall.

I called Jerry and he had decided to delay the residential garbage pickup and make a decision about the pickup depending on the weather.

I went to the city hall about 8:30 and did some work for the cemetery. I went to the cemetery and marked a grave for a funeral tomorrow.

I then went to the street department to check on the activities going on. Jerry had started the garbage pickup. The weather had improved quite a bit, but it was still snowing. The crews had also been working to clear some of the intersections and streets.

Theda had come to work by this time and I called her to tell her of me taking care of the grave for tomorrow, but she told me that the family was in her office at that time and they wanted to have their loved one buried in a different lot. I told her that I would come to the city hall and meet with her and the family member to make sure that we were all on the same page.

After the meeting I returned to the cemetery to mark the grave and discovered that there was a problem with the location. I called Theda and ask her to contact the family member and have them meet with us to resolve the problem. She did and we all met and after much discussion and a trip to the cemetery by me and the family member and talking to Theda on the phone got the problem solved.

I returned to the city hall and by this time the snow had turned to sleet and the streets were getting slick. I told Theda that I was going to the cemetery to take the grave digger his check. Theda had said that because of the weather she would probably go home early. I told her that was fine.

I left to go to the cemetery and soon discovered that the roads were in bad shape. I called Theda and told her to lock the door and go home because of the road conditions. She said that she would. I continued to the cemetery and delivered the check and then came home.

It has been snowing, sleeting, and raining all afternoon. KWYN reported that by early in the morning we should have about eleven inches of this snow and sleet on the ground.

No comments: