Friday, May 28, 2010

FRIDAY MAY 28, 2010
10:22 AM

I have been working for several weeks on a grant for playground equipment for some of the city parks. I was working on a self imposed deadline of the middle of June to complete the grant application. Earlier this week I was making the final pages of some of the grant. I encountered a question that I did not have an answer for the question. I contacted the state agency that has responsibility. When I talked with the representative I learned that I did not have all of the information to complete the grant process.

I will have to have a professional provide some information to complete the grant. I talked with a local architect and he offered his services. I plan to put the grant on hold for this year and present an application next year. I might make the deadline this year with the help of the architect, but it would be close. I plan to ask the city council for permission to employ this architect and have him provide the information I need for next year. He thinks that this would be the best plan and we will have the information on hand that can be used in future years to apply for grants if the necessary city funds are available.

I hate to wait a year, but if we wait I think that we will be successful in securing this grant. The money that the city has for this project will still be available next year.

I met last night with a group of citizens and received their input about improvements they would like to see included in this plan. I will meet with at least two more groups and also conduct a public hearing for all citizens about this issue. These meetings are a requirement for the grant application. Because I have decided to delay the application I will have more time to seek input from the citizens about the park improvements.

Monday is a holiday for the city. Pat and I plan to go to Memphis and spend some time with Amy during this time. She has to work on Saturday, but as of now she will be off on Sunday and might be off on Monday. She has a new grill and she wants to have a cookout with the new grill.

Entergy plans to move the electric lines on MLK tomorrow. I think that if they complete the moving, the bridge contractor will begin the bridge construction next week.

Jerry and I went to Memphis on Wednesday for a meeting and lunch. We shared the table at lunch with the mayor of Memphis and one of his staff. The mayor remembered me for contacts we had had over the years he was mayor of Shelby county. Jerry and I both enjoyed visiting with these two gentleman. I think that we both agreed that we were glad that we worked for a city the size of Wynne and not Memphis.

I met with the Farmfest committee yesterday for lunch. This was our last meeting before Farmfest. I think that we have everything in place with proper planning to have a successful Farmfest in June. I am pleased every time I meet with groups like this. They are all hardworking individuals who give of their time and talent to improve the city of Wynne.

No comments: