Thursday, April 23, 2009

THURSDAY APRIL 23, 2009
3:30 PM

Amy is no longer working at the funeral home she has worked at for the past 22 months. Please keep her in your prayers as she goes through this difficult time in her life.

I have spent quite a bit of time working on a layoff/reduction in force policy for the past few weeks. I have met several times with the department heads about this issue. I think that we have what we want in the document. We will meet one more time to discuss the final draft of the policy. If we all agree on the latest draft, I will submit it to the lawyer for his approval. If he approves, I plan to present it to the city council at the May meeting for adoption.

I attended a meeting of the solid waste board this morning. On positive note, it appears we will be funded for a grant to replace our wood chipper. It is our turn to receive money for projects like this. We spent most of the meeting time discussing the failure of garbage haulers not taking waste to the proper landfill. I have been on this board for eleven years and this has been a problem the entire time. I think that we are finally to the point of taking legal action to force haulers to comply with the regulations of the district. It is a very complicated issue and legal action could be very disruptive to cities and counties as well as expensive to take legal action. I think that it is time to take legal action. If we do not the problem will never be corrected.

No comments: