Wednesday, December 31, 2008

WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 31, 2008
2:36 PM

Another year has almost gone. It has been a good year for me. I have had some unique experiences that I will probably never forget. Because of some unusual situations I have learned some new information that will help me be a better mayor in the future.

There will be a big change in the sanitation department next year. The way the city handles trash is going to change drastically. I hope that everyone adjust to the new system in a short time. I appreciate the attitude of Carol and Jerry about the changes. They are the employees who are going to be on the front line for the new system. I have tried to encourage them as we enter this new phase. I feel confident about their handling of the changes. I hope that the citizens cooperate with the city in this new method of collecting trash. The 96 gallon containers that we purchased earlier in the year seem to be working out well. We have had only minor problems since the new system was implemented. A majority of the comments to me have been very positive about the change.

I went to Colt today for lunch. I met Pat and a group of Woodruff employees for lunch. We met there to have lunch with Richard. He is in town to close on his home in Wynne. I hope that everything goes well. A deal is never closed until the check clears the bank.

I will not stay up and see the new year in later tonight. I am too old to do that now. I will go to the courthouse in the morning to witness the swearing in ceremony for the elected officials. The city will have two new council members next year. One council member chose not to seek election and another was defeated. I look forward to working next year with the two new members and the eight who will be returning.

No comments: