Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday September 18, 2008
10:30 AM

I have resigned from the Wynne Rotary Club. I actually resigned last week. I mailed the president a letter and the letter was read at the meeting yesterday. I will miss not going to lunch each Wednesday and hearing the variety of programs presented to the club. I will also miss visiting with the members of the club. The club does a number of important projects in Wynne. I could have continued to be a member and continued going to the meetings, but I felt like that I should be an active member or not be a member. The club has a number of members who only eat then leave. They also have a number of members who eat stay for the program, but never participate in any of the club functions That is not the kind of member I wanted to be, so I chose to resign my membership.

Yesterday the street sweeper had to be towed to the dealer for repairs. The reginning part of the engine was shutting down the engine. We have had that problem with the garbage trucks, but this is the first time we have had that problem with the sweeper. I think that they have finally fixed the garbage trucks.

There is still a lot of limbs placed on the streets from the storm damage last weekend. The sanitation and street departments are continuing to pick them up.

I have two meetings to attend today. The chamber of commerce meets today at noon in Cherry Valley and the CCEDC meets this afternoon at the tech center here in Wynne. I had to miss last months meetings, I was on my way to Eureka Springs for the Arkansas Municipal League summer planning meeting.

There will be a ground breaking ceremony for the new regional airport on October 7th. I will be attending and probable making a few brief remarks. It seems that this process has been going on for a long time. Dr. Kerr called me yesterday and told me that the governor had accepted an invitation to attend the ceremony and he will be making a brief speech. I am thankful for the time the appointed board members have given to this project. It has taken a lot of their time to see this project get to this point. I think that we will be pleased with the result of all the work that has gone in to getting a regional airport for Wynne and Forrest City.

No comments: