Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday August 15, 2008
2:10 PM

Today has been an interesting day so far.

I had a meeting with the US Dept. of Labor this morning. It was a good meeting and I gained a lot of information that will aid me as I operate the City of Wynne. We have a potential problem, but after the meeting I understand better the rules of employment and the relationship between the city and our employees. We have made some changes in some of the departments and after the meeting there are now some regulations that have been implemented in all departments.

A few minutes after the above meeting Amy called. She had an accident in one of the funeral home vehicle. She had hid a fire hydrant and knocked it down. The damaged to the vehicle was a rim and tire. She said that it was serious, but it was also funny. I am glad that the damage was not too great.

It was good to hear from her, even though the news was not good. She called and talked to her mother last night. She received her Arkansas licence yesterday. She has been legal since she went to work, but is good that she now has passed the Arkansas Law test and has her license.
I am proud of her and her new profession. The only thing now is for her to continue working and doing the great job she does. I do hope that she gets an increase in salary now that she has her Arkansas license.

I talked to Jerry about 1:30 PM today. He was on his way back and almost to Corinth. He said that he had not had any problems. Charlie is to be in Wynne tomorrow and install the traffic signal control and box.

I have had several comments about the class three and four trash. All of the people who have talked to me are pleased that the service will resume on Monday of next week. I am glad that we have started the service again, but the council will have to deal with paying for this service in next years budget. I am in the process of doing a detailed study of garbage cost. When the study is complete I should be able to project and accurate cost for all types of trash that the city collects.

Pat and I visited the Barkley family last night and later Pat carried some paper goods for the family to use during this time. There will be several people in the home over the next few days and the paper goods will make cleanup much easier. I never realized this fact until daddy died and a number of people were eating at the home. There is a memorial service for Mrs. Barkley tomorrow at 11:00 AM. Her body has been sent out of state for burial.

No comments: