Thursday, August 14, 2008

THURSDAY AUGUST 14, 2008
11:00 AM

The garbage truck problems continue. Yesterday Jerry carried both of the trucks to the Mack dealer in Jonesboro. The bottom line is that nothing was done.

Jerry started the process of sealing the dog pound this morning. He said that it went well. There are three different applications of product to complete the process. The total process will take several days and then it should last for many years.

While I was writing the blog Amy called. Nothing wrong, she just wanted to talk a few minutes. We had not talked in several days. She said that today it was dead (play on words). Yesterday they had three services.

One of our neighbors passed away last night. Mrs. Barkley, who lives one house from us passed away last night. She has been in bad health for the past several months. She is one of the very very few people who live in the Village who has been there since we moved there in 1974. I have missed seeing her in the yard for the past several months. In the past she did a lot of work in her yard. Since she has been confined to the house she sat at the door with the curtains pulled back to observe the people and traffic passing by her house. When I walked Oscar, if I did not acknowledge her, she would peck on the window to get my attention. I tried to remember to look at her door and acknowledge her if she was sitting there. I had to be real fast, or she would peck on the window and wave at me. I will miss Mrs. Barkley. She and her family and extended family have been excellent neighbors.

When we first moved to the Village the neighborhood was more stable and we knew each other more than we now do. One of the reasons is that several of the homes are now rental property. When we first move there all of the people who lived there were the owners.

Theda and Carol have been working on information for me to get an accurate cost of trash. When they complete their work I will take there information and some more and hopefully determine the actual cost of disposal of each type of garbage. I must have this detailed information to make a budget for the council to consider as they make a decision about what trash will be removed and the cost of each type.

Just another exciting day in the life of a mayor.

No comments: