Monday, August 25, 2008

MONDAY AUGUST 25, 2008
8:45 AM

I attended the Arkansas Municipal League annual planning meeting last Thursday and Friday in Eureka Springs. I went because I am a member of the executive committee of the league. Every thing that the league does goes through the executive committee. I have enjoyed by time on the committee. Some times the subject is boring, but I have a different prospective about city government because I serve on this committee. I have also made some friends because of my serving on this committee. This has been beneficial to me, because in the committee and during the time when we meet we get to discuss problems and solutions to problems that we face as city officials.

The meeting on Friday lasted longer than normal. We did not complete our work until 2:30 to 2:45. The main purpose of the meeting is to make plans for the next year of the league. Next year will be busy because the legislature will meet and the cites have a number of issues that will be addressed during the session. The league and the legislature have a good working relationship. There are a number of former city officials who help the league with our programs that benefit the cities and towns of Arkansas. The members of the general assembly who are not former city officials are also very helpful to the cities throughout the year and during the session.

On Thursday night the league provided us with a dinner. We chose from several eating establishments and went with a league staff member to eat. The group I went with was headed up by Ken Wasson. We ate at Sparky's. Everyone in our group enjoyed the food and we had a very good fellowship during the meal. After the meal all of the group was invited to go to a music shop or on a ghost tour. I chose to go to the music show. The crowd was small but the cast put on a very good show.

I went to Eureka through Searcy and Harrision and came back on 412 which goes through a number of cities. The drive coming back is a little bit longer, but I enjoyed taking a different route. I got home about 8:30PM. I did make several pit stops for the bathroom and coffee breaks. I also stopped in Jonesboro for my evening meal.

While I was out of town we had someone set a cat on fire. We made national news and a reward of more than $3,000.00 has been put up for the convection of the people responsible for the burning of the cat. The police are still working on solving the case.

I visited with Jerry this morning. We are still having problem with the garbage trucks. I will be glad and I know that Jerry will be pleased, when the problems are corrected.

I have just talked with Mike. Last week he hired a person to work as a patrol officer and hired another person to be the animal control officer. They should begin work two weeks from today. They both needed to give a notice to their present employers. I appreciate them wanting to give a notice. I expect our employees to give notice when they chose to leave the city. It is just good business to give a notice.

Pat, Amy, and I will be going to Tupelo next Sunday. We will meet with other members of her family and have lunch. We will then go to the care facility where her mother passed away one year ago. It is part of the healing process for members of the family who cared for her the last few days of her life.

I will be making that trip, plus a few more miles several times over the next few months. Football season begins and I will be watching my bulldogs at the home games again this year. I enjoy going to Mississippi State and attending the football games. It is a long trip, but it is a good diversion for me to get away for a short time from the duties as Mayor.

No comments: