Wednesday, August 13, 2008

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 13, 2008
2:00 PM

Yesterday Oliver Hinds stopped by to see me a few minutes. I was busy and could not spend much time with him. He wanted to know how to get to James Billings home. He said that he was in town and wanted to visit with him a few minutes. I told him that James would be at his office and I gave him directions to get to the office.

I ran into James this morning. I asked him if Oliver had found him. He said that he had and that they had a three hour visit. I am glad that I was able to assist in getting some old friends together.

The city council met last night for the August meeting. There were several items of interest on the agenda.

The council adopted without discussion the proposed new water and sewer rates. The new rates will go into affect with the October billing. I was a little surprised that no council member voted no.

A great deal of time was spent discussing John Brown Road/St. Peters Ave. The CCEDC asked the council to make this street a truck route. After much discussion, the council, at the request of the CCEDC tabled the matter until next month. The CCEDC will have an ordinance ready to present at the September meeting.

The council also granted a request to allow a daycare in R1.

They also allowed the planning department to purchase some software and upgrades for a computer system. The software will allow the building inspector to always have the very latest information about zoning of property in Wynne. I think that this will be a very valuable tool to help the city.

There was an interesting discussion about class three and four trash. In the end they voted to reinstate the system that was in place before last month's meeting. They instructed me to pay the cost out of the general fund from money that has not been placed in the budget. We will resume this service next Monday. They indicated that they would look at the cost and make a decision about this service during the budget discussions later in the year.

We are still having problems with the garbage trucks. Jerry in on his way to Jonesboro with the residential truck as I write this blog. I hope that they can repair it today. The commercial truck is still having problems, but they will call when they receive the parts to repair the problem.

This morning I ask Theda and Carol to compile information for me about the cost of garbage. I need some detailed information as I prepare to make the budget for next year. I know this is extra work for them, but I appreciate their work on behalf of me in getting this information. I must remember to be sure and thank them for their extra work.

The fire department has some trucks and men in Forrest City to aid in the control of a fire. The Days Inn motel is burning. They have requested help from several area fire departments.

No comments: